Posted by Deb Otis on May 24, 2022 at 12:59 PM
Voters in twenty Utah cities used ranked choice voting (RCV) for their local elections in 2021 as part of the state’s RCV municipal pilot program. This report examines the Utah municipal RCV elections and finds:
- RCV elected mayors and city councilors with broad support
- Voters overwhelmingly chose to use the ranked ballot to express multiple preferences
- Voters reported that they liked using RCV
- Election integrity was upheld as results were confirmed in a recount
- State legislators have continued to express support for the program.