We are pleased to see new progress and new support for our Reform 2020 reform agenda. Here are highlights:
- Supreme Court ruling presents viable path to national popular vote. Drew Spencer highlights recent analysis from legal scholar Vikram Amar regarding the Arizona State Legislature v. Arizona Supreme Court ruling’s potential impact on national popular vote.
- Fixing Gerrymandering. In a July 2 article on Salon, Drew Spencer and Rob Richie called for fair representation voting as the fundamental fix to gerrymandering. On July 8, Richie was a guest on Newmax’s MidPoint and discussed FairVote's analysis of the Arizona redistricting Supreme Court ruling.
- New report exposes broken democracy. On June 12, FairVote released Decided Dozen, a new report focusing on 12 states where legislative control and most individual seats are never in doubt.
Professor explores ranked choice voting for Boston elections. James Sutherland, of Northeastern University, champions ranked choice voting for Boston mayoral and city council elections. “Instant runoff voting elections,” Sutherland writes, “produces a democracy which matches the philosophy of the modern voter.”.
- Virginia Delegate Alfonso Lopez supports ranked choice voting. Del. Lopez described ranked choice voting (which the Arlington Democratic Party calls instant runoff voting) as “very effective.” Read Grace Ramsey’s piece on how Arlington Democrats implemented this “common-sense way of voting.”
- Updated primary elections map shows who can vote in primaries. We have updated information on congressional primaries in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Check out your state to see if you can vote.
- Duluth campaign delivers 2200 signatures for RCV petition. The Duluth Better Ballot Campaign delivered nearly 2200 signatures for their Ranked Choice Voting petition to City Hall. The proposal is under review by the Duluth Charter Commission.
- Where to get the scoop: Check out FairVote's Blogspot site for quick access to important election reform news.
Catch the FairVote Reformer for the latest updates on systemic election reform.