Ranked Choice Voting Research Advisory Committee
FairVote has assembled a team of academic advisers with whom we work closely on issues relating to ranked choice voting. They are currently taking the lead in implementing a research project into the potential impact of RCV on the tone and substance of campaigns for which we received $300,000 from the Democracy Fund.
At a March 2014 workshop from Stanford University's Program on American Democracy in Comparative Perspective, eight ranked choice voting academic advisers and FairVote executive director Rob Richie gave presentations on electoral system reform in the U.S. Rob Richie's presentation on applying ranked choice voting to congressional elections is available here. Jack Nagel presented two papers at the workshop: one on ingredients conducive to successful electoral reform and one on importing mixed member proportional systems to the U.S. Caroline Tolbert and Todd Donovan presented findings from our Democracy Fund-backed research project on the impact of ranked choice voting on civility, the highlights of which are summarized here.
Here is our advisory committee.
- Larry Diamond, Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution, Harvard University
- Richard DeLeon, Professor Emeritus of Political Science, San Francisco State University
- Todd Donovan, Professor of Political Science, Western Washington University
- David Farrell, Professor of Politics, University College Dublin
- David Kimball, Professor of Political Science, University of Missouri-St. Louis
- Martha Kropf, Associate Professor of Political Science, University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- Arend Lijphart, Professor Emeritus of Political Science, University of California at San Diego
- Benjamin Reilly, Dean, Sir Walter Murdoch School of Public Policy and International Affairs, Murdoch University
- Jack Nagel, Professor Emeritus of Political Science, University of Pennsylvania
- Caroline J. Tolbert, Professor of Political Science, University of Iowa
- Jack Santucci, Ph.D Candidate and former FairVote researcher, Georgetown Unviersity