Content Categorized with "Home"
1 - 10 of 363 results
May has been a big month for FairVote's work advancing a right to vote in the Constitution. In Congress, representatives Mark Pocan and Keith Ellison introduced bill for a right to vote amendment along lines that we have recommended, featuring quotes from FairVote in their news release.
Locally, our hometown of Takoma Park (MD) became the first to pass a resolution in support of a constitutional right to vote and is making concrete commitments to expand suffrage and boost turnout. One significant change: Takoma Park will become the first city in the United States to extend voting rights to residents after they turn 16.
Recently, suffrage was expanded in Takoma Park, Maryland to include voters of ages 16 and 17. At the same time, New York City considered allowing documented residents to vote in local elections irrespective of citizenship status.
- Posted: May 3, 2013
- Author(s): Devin McCarthy, Rebecca Franklin
- Categories: Home, Fair Voting/Proportional Representation, International Elections, Elections Worldwide, Districts Plus
Despite a recent constitutional controversy, Germany's mixed member proportional representation system of elections remains one of the most effective in the world.
- Posted: May 2, 2013
- Author(s): Sara Helmi, Andrew Douglas
- Categories: Home, Fair Voting/Proportional Representation, Middle East and Africa, International Elections, Elections Worldwide
Kenya's use of winner-take-all elections provides few incentives for inter-ethnic cooperation. Proportional representation could help bridge the country's ethnic divides.
Every two years, FairVote conducts a thorough analysis of congressional elections, pointing out problems and making predictions in U.S. House of Representatives districts in all 50 states, that we call Monopoly Politics. We recently released our first projections for the 2014 congressional elections, including publishing a downloadable spreadsheet with partisanship data for every congressional district in the country. Check out the media coverage of our 2014 projections, our Monopoly Politics 2012 report, and our resources on the fair voting solution.
- Posted: April 30, 2013
- Author(s): Andrea Levien
- Categories: Home, Presidential Elections, National Popular Vote
Check out FairVote's new Google Map, which shows in detail when and where the presidential and vice presidential candidates held events during the fall campain. The distribution may surprise you.
- Posted: April 26, 2013
- Author(s): Rob Richie, Devin McCarthy, Andrea Levien
- Categories: Home, National Popular Vote, Presidential Elections, Fair Voting/Proportional Representation, Congressional Elections
These are the top ten indicators that winner-take-all has led to the breakdown of the American electoral system in both presidential and legislative elections.