Content Categorized with "FairVote Reformer E-Newsletters"
11 - 20 of 121 results
It's Monday, November 5: one day to Election Day, the culmination of a presidential election marathon that started well before the Iowa caucuses last January. We obviously hope every eligible voter on this list participates -- and joins us in a lasting commitment to the right to vote by participating in our Promote Our Vote campaign, building a movement to establish an affirmative right to vote in the Constitution, grounded in local efforts to protect voting rights and boost participation.
We're in the final two weeks of the election, and there's a lot going on in states across the nation as we approach a hugely important election. News from FairVote includes: Krist live on CSPAN, fairvoting.us, Electoral Dysfunction...
Krist Novoselic has been chairman of the board at FairVote since 2008. He first became politically active while playing bass for the band Nirvana in the early 1990s. Novoselic published his book "Of Grunge and Government: Let's Fix This Broken Democracy" in 2004 and joined the FairVote board in 2005. This is the first of The Chairman's Corner series.
- Posted: April 5, 2012
- Categories: FairVote Reformer E-Newsletters
It’s income tax season in the United States, and always a good time to think about the basic values of our nation: taxation demands representation, and government is grounded in the consent of the governed. We believe our electoral rules exclude too many Americans from fair representation in government and a fair voice in our elections
Many great things happened in the month of February. See the highlights in our most recent e-newsletter!
- Oscar: Rank Your Choices
- FairVote Featured in High Profile Media
- Ranked Choice Voting Earns Strong Support
- Honor John Anderson and Double your Donation
- Primary Season Resources--And Please Vote!
- Question of the Month
Welcome to 2012! It's a big election year, and there's no shortage of elections to track and reform ideas to explain. We're the nation's go-to resource when it comes to big thinking about election reform - certainly there's rarely been a better time for out-of-the-box approaches to stand up for American votes and our democracy. This issue features: Fair Vote 20th Anniversary- and a Salute to John Anderson, Your Primary Resource: 2012 Election Marathon Underway, Fair Voting Plans for Congress: There is a better way, 84th Academy Awards Showcase Ranked Choice Voting, Question of the Month
- Six cities had ranked choice voting ("IRV") elections this November, with voters being able to rank candidates in order of choice without fear of "spoiling" elections.
- Two more states approved the National Popular Vote plan for president: our biggest (California) and one of our smallest (Vermont).
- Proportional voting had a big year internationally, including being adopted by most Arab nations moving toward democracy. I
- Legislation to establish a constitutional right to vote has 48 sponsors.