Content Categorized with "Congressional Elections"
21 - 30 of 58 results
- Posted: October 1, 2013
- Author(s): Devin McCarthy, Rob Richie
- Categories: Fair Voting/Proportional Representation, Congressional Elections, Home
The United States Congress has careened into a government shutdown, and everybody wants to find someone to blame. But in the accusatory frenzy, they're missing the real culprit: the voting rules that drive the political behavior of Congress.
- Posted: August 7, 2013
- Author(s): Andrew Douglas
- Categories: Fair Voting/Proportional Representation, Congressional Elections, Research & Analysis, Home, FairVote, Monopoly Politics 2012 Map
While many Americans describe themselves as ideological moderates, centrists have become increasingly rare in the House of Representatives, where their decline has contributed to congressional dysfunction and polarization. The pace of the decline of House moderates over the last forty years has been remarkable.
- Posted: July 26, 2013
- Author(s): Robert Fekete
- Categories: Congressional Elections, Fair Voting/Proportional Representation, Redistricting, FairVote
Independent redistricting only makes marginal improvements to South Carolina's uncompetitive and distorted congressional elections. Fair representation voting is a better solution.
The June 18th vote in the U.S. House on abortion law reflects a trend towards increased polarization and a decline in crossover voting in the House. This analysis looks at which Members voted against their party's majority and compares the vote to a 1993 vote on abortion law.
Every two years, FairVote conducts a thorough analysis of congressional elections, pointing out problems and making predictions in U.S. House of Representatives districts in all 50 states, that we call Monopoly Politics. We recently released our first projections for the 2014 congressional elections, including publishing a downloadable spreadsheet with partisanship data for every congressional district in the country. Check out the media coverage of our 2014 projections, our Monopoly Politics 2012 report, and our resources on the fair voting solution.
- Posted: April 26, 2013
- Author(s): Andrea Levien, Devin McCarthy, Rob Richie
- Categories: National Popular Vote, Presidential Elections, Fair Voting/Proportional Representation, Congressional Elections, Home
These are the top ten indicators that winner-take-all has led to the breakdown of the American electoral system in both presidential and legislative elections.