FairVote's Redistricting Resources
With the completion of the 2010 Census, state legislatures are now in the process of the decennial redrawing of congressional, state, and local electoral districts. The process of creating new boundary lines is highly partisan and often comes at the expense of voters. By gerrymandering districts, legislators and their political allies use redistricting to choose their voters instead of giving voters the opportunity to choose them.
FairVote's number one priority in relation to redistricting is to modify winner-take-all voting rules to make the act of drawing district lines less determinative of outcomes. Ideally in tandem with such new voting methods, FairVote also backs a more independent, more transparent and more criteria-driven process.
FairVote has developed a number of new resources regarding redistricting, including:
- Glossary - An A to Z guide to terms and definitions
- Litigation - A summary of ongoing lawsuits to redistricting plans and procedures throughout the country
- Reform Legislation - A report on proposed laws in all fifty states to improve redistricting processes
- Resource List - A guide and review of the best redistricting resources from around the web
- News - A compilation of tweets to news stories and opinion by state
- Alternative Approaches - Drawings of proposed "super districts" for all states used for proportional voting systems
- Additional Links - FairVote also contributes to Endgerrymandering.com and tweets current redistricting news
Comments currently closed for FairVote's Redistricting Resources
Posted by bryan, 2011-08-22 05:41:03 (2 years ago)